Tuesday 11 January 2011

Can You Believe This??

These floods are crazy bad... When you think summer, floods are not the first thing to come to mind... It is such a bad situation, 9 people are dead, 60+ people are missing.. and what can we do??

I'll tell you what we should NOT do.. In the newspaper the other day, there was talk about food costs rising across the country because of the damage and isolation caused by the floods and a man had written in to those opinion letter section.. and this is exactly what he wrote, "With food prices predicted to rise by up to 50% due to the devastating floods in Queensland and New South Wales, I wonder if our Prime Minister will give pensioners and the unemployed a one off hardship package to allow them to eat until food production normalises. Probably not. She needs to keep all the government reserves in case Indonesia needs another hand out or the Pollies need another pay rise."

Well, look.. I can understand this could be an issue.. but at a time when people are dying, people are missing, families have lost everything... There is SO much suffering and this guy, sitting in his home in Tasmania.. unaffected by flood waters except for the possible food price increase.. is sitting is his Dry living room writing a letter like this, using the flood as political ammunition. Is it just me, or is this pathetic??? How about some Hardship payments for those AFFECTED by the floods.. Those people that are homeless and the food and drinking water is running out - How about instead of giving money to the unemployed in this time of crisis.. we demand they give money to the PEOPLE in CRISIS or fund some emergency services people from other states to come and help.. You know what I mean...

I know people can be selfish, but this is unreal. I can't understand how a person even thinks about his own food prices when something so bad has happened.. Some of the people up in Queensland can't even get to food.. I don't mind paying a little extra on my food.. I'm so so lucky to have a roof over my head, some food in the cupboards, milk in the fridge and knowing my loved ones are safe. I'm so so fortunate and my heart truly does go out to those who don't know where their loved ones are... We were upset when our pet went missing for 2 days.. I can only imagine the devastating emotions that come with a missing family member or partner.

That's all I really wanted to say.. All my best wishes to everyone up there in the middle of the disaster zone. Fingers crossed we've heard the last of the fatalities.. We'll have to think of a fundraiser or something.. It's crazy bad..

Gazzy.

No comments: